The Roman and Medieval City
The oldest part of the city, known as Quadrilatero**, preserves both in its name and in the layout of its streets the memory of the original Roman city of Augusta Taurinorum. This pedestrian area spreads around the north-south axis, “cardo”, nowadays via Porta Palatina, and the east-west axis, “decumanus maximus”, the modern via Garibaldi**. Redisigned by Juvarra, this is nowadays the longest pedestrian street in Torino and a busy shopping district. Even in the past it was an important commercial artery, as the profusion of craftsmen and small shops in the nearby via Barbaroux, via dei Mercanti and via Stampatori show. Via Garibaldi links two important squares, piazza Castello*** and Piazza Statuto*, the elegant and austere square, the name of which reminds of the Statuto Albertino released by King Carlo Alberto in 1848.