Chocolate

In Torino in the early 18th century chocolate began to be processed and solidified, creating delicious products for satisfying the Court of Savoy. This led to the invention of gianduiotti, chocolates, pralines, cakes, biscuits, pinguino ice-creams and hot chocolate. Torino's citizens have a further delight, a hot drink based on coffee, chocolate and cream called bicerin. Aside the large industrial chocolate manufacturers such as Ferrero, Caffarel or Streglio, there are artisan companies that continue Torino’s tradition of chocolate making, capable of re-elaborating it according to new tastes and trends.

Inventor of the turinot, a diminutive version of the classic gianduiotto, Guido Gobino (via Lagrange 1At) obtained the recognition as “the world’s best praline” awarded by the “Academy of Chocolate” of London for the Sea Salt Cremino with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Further on in via Lagrange Massimo Gertosio (via Lagrange 34/H) is carrying on his family’s long tradition in chocolate and confectionery business. Among the specialities the Torta Sabauda and Torta dell’Assedio, a cake made with egg whites and sugar commemorating the French siege of 1706, are worth a taste.
In via Po, Pasticceria Ghigo (Via Po 52/b) is one of the oldest confectioner’s shop in Torino. It’s famous for its fabulous whipped cream, made on the spot and served with a spatula directly into your cup of coffee or hot chocolate. In the past Ghigo whipped cream was called fiocca (snow), because of its softness and lightness. Ghigo hot chocolate, which is sensationally thick, and hot zabaglione are made from old recipes jealously handed down from generation to generation.
The chocolate meringue cake is the symbol of another famous historical confectionery and pastry shop, Pasticceria Pfatisch (via Sacchi 42), located in the neighborhood of Porta Nuova railway station. Creator of Dolci Momenti a Torino (Sweet Moments in Torino) and grappini (chocolates filled with grappa), Peyrano (Corso VIttorio Emanuele II 76) has been in operation since 1912.